The Many Styles of Morgana: A Preseason 8 Rune Guide

Just this past week on Tuesday League of Legends got its big preseason 8 changes, and I know I just did a guide on ranked but I couldn’t help but jump right into the theory building for rune pages. Masteries and runes have been completely melded with a bunch of familiar and some entirely new options. In the season 8 ranked season I plan on switching my roles to Mid and Top so I decided to spend a lot of time making pages for my picks for those lanes and the one I've spent the most time testing out is Morgana: The Fallen Angel.



So what didn’t really click in my head before I gave the new runes a really good read is that they're all "adaptive", meaning they adapt to the damage your champion does (physical or magic) so there's tons more wiggle room for what kind of page you can go for. What's optimal though? I'm still not sure and its kind of a low level of play mentality to have but I enjoy thinking about what could be.

Hungry, Hungry Morgana
The first page I thought of was using the mastery "Dark Harvest" because I recently have been playing a ton of Morgana games where I've just been getting a lead and becoming a bully for the enemy mid and jungle and then eventually the entire team and shoving with tormented soil until I'm at the inhib tower with a really large cs lead. So I thought utilizing "Dark Harvest" as a way to scale harder and push harder when my mid opponent roams. It's just a page entirely centered around being greedy and eating everything you can to get big.



So you take "Cheap Shot" since you have two cc abilities and your full combos are gonna mostly start with your ultimate (which slows then stuns). I took "Zombie Ward" on this page to provide as much vision as possible because ideally were just shoving lanes all game, so we need the vision for incoming lane ganks. And I took "Ravenous Hunter" because I thought healing in fights would be hard for the enemy to deal with even though at the time I wasn't sure how much the healing would be worth it. Secondary is Sorcery and for the sake of scaling I took "Gathering Storm" and to keep dominance over lane I took "Absolute Focus" for being able to go onto the enemy laner and one combo them. You could take "Scorch" alternatively to help bully. However even though the idea of this is entertaining because I can't guarantee this kind of situation consistently and the very long time it takes to stack "Dark Harvest" in lane, it turns out to be quite underwhelming and if your winning with it you would have been winning or hard winning already with something else. Honestly it's just bad but its my baby.

Lockdown Support Morgana
This next page is a page that takes the inspiration tree because the rune "Approach Velocity" immediately sounded great on Morgana and "Kelptomancy" seems generally good for supports and is the talk of the town right now.



So "Kleptomancy" actually turned out to be really cool because of all the consumables that you can get in the laning phase that are actually retired from the shop and unavailable(mana potions, vision wards, old biscuits, and a sly sack of gold worth 20-100 gold, ect.), but I don’t know how good it is overall. I think this one will get talked about a lot so ill wait before I pass any judgment it (even though I hear a lot of higher elo players speak against the hype) seemed good when I used it but the value of the items and the gold are unclear to me. "Perfect Timing" is actually lovely on Morgana in general because it gives you a piece of Zhonya's Hourglass one of your core items you almost always build especially in support and gives you a chance to use an early version of it at level 6 or when you have an opportunity. "Approach Velocity" is the crown jewel of this page giving you move speed when your ulting the enemy which is big for Morg being able to stick onto and get into enemy  champions supported by the stopwatch active from "Perfect Timing" especially on support where you don’t mind putting yourself at risk as much. Secondary is Domination taking "Zombie Ward" for vision control as a support and "Relentless Hunter" for extra move speed which is generally good as support. This one is just generally good and works as intended.

Vanilla AP Morgana
Next is the more straightforward mid Morgana page taking the Sorcery tree. This is another one that’s generally good and had some alternatives for secondary's that change the dynamic. Gathering storm is just good on most mages because more damage never a bad thing.



So first we take "Arcane Comet" because even though they can dodge it, they wont always and in team fights no one gonna be watching for it. It's extra damage in the lane when they walk over your tormented soil and I promise they will. "Manaflow Band" is generally good and lets you stay in lane longer and as Morgana your going to be getting a lot of cs with tormented soil so free casts are nice. "Transcendence" another generally good rune for mages that like cdr. "Gathering Storm" is good because more AP. You could take "Scorch" Alternatively even though I don’t know if the value is worth it. The secondary tree however could be domination where you would take "Zombie Ward" and "Relentless Hunter" both solid runes for Morgana and a lot of champions. Or you can take the inspiration tree "Perfect Timing" instantly having value for its active and free 600g on a core item for Morg, "Approach Velocity" also having instant value for a more aggressive ult cast on an unprepared opponent(s). Also in the inspiration tree "Magical Footwear" is a good option because as Morg you probably wont have boots till 10 minutes anyway and saving the 300g is just good and the extra move speed is good but not huge. "Hextech Flashtraption" can also be good for flashing in and ulting but I don’t like it that much. Even though this one is kind of self explanatory and obvious its still really good. I've had the best results with this page because everything on it just works well on Morgana.

I think from first to last this kind of personifies how the theory crafting in competitive games (and a bunch of other stuff) goes. The coolest ideas in our heads are usually just sub-optimal and the easiest answer is a lot of the time the best answer. I don't dislike that though, because results and good performances are a good thing and even though we progress past ideas we like that kind of growth is part of the beauty of mastery. I hope this preseason is good for all of you, and even though we will for fact have to abide to a standard I hope you have good times with some ideas of your own. Don't be afraid of growing because you think your conforming. Mastering the art of being open to knowledgeable opinions for the sake of becoming greater is part of the climb.


P.S. Good luck in solo q and make sure you grind some good MMR for the next ranked season. Yes it matters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ni No Kuni and The Wizards Companion

A Low Elo Guide to League of Legends by Kaptain Kaster